Mentor School Showcase: Pine Valley Elementary School
School: Pine Valley Elementary School
District: Pine Valley Central School District
Grade Level: Elementary
Region: West (RFF contact)
Video: Scott Burdick, principal
- Grades: Elementary
- Enrollment: 331
- Needs/Resource Category:
- Free & Reduced Lunch: 54%
- SWD: 11%
Racial & Ethnic
- White: 98%
- Black or African American: 1.5%
- Other: 0.5%
Co-Teaching - Key Elements: Leadership
- Pine Valley Elementary School began using the co-teaching model in
2003. The practice was initiated due to NYSEDs push for SWDs to receive
instruction at the greatest possible extent with their non-disabled
- The majority of SWDs remain at PV Elementary to benefit from the
Scientifically Based Research strategies and tools that are utilized
within the co-teaching model. Seventy-seven percent of the elementary
students who have IEPs are in integrated co-taught classrooms.
Planning and Making It Work
Just Starting Out
- Any new initiative or practice within a building takes time, planning
and collaboration to ensure its success. The teams at Pine Valley
Elementary school have worked diligently to make co-teaching an
effective practice within the building to ensure success for students.
- This slide includes a video-clip of two teachers that began co-teaching
during the 2010-11 school year. They share their concerns, fears and how
they are planning and making it work.
Co-Teaching In Action
In the Classroom
- On a typical day, there is one special and one general education
teacher. In addition, there is one teaching assistant.
- During the attached video, students from a local college, SUNY
Fredonia, are present to observe and learn.
- Large group instruction typically begins the day followed by small,
- Both ELA and Math occur in this setting with a musical, movement break
in between subjects to rejuvenate the minds.
Co-Teaching Perspective From a Classroom Teacher
This video seems to be unavailable (please check to make sure you have
A Veteran Teacher's Perspective
- Lisa Gallivan has been providing special education services to Students
with Disabilities (SWDs) for 17 years.
- She has been co-teaching for 3 years.
- She believes that Integrated Co-Teaching is the most viable option to
provide services to SWDs.
Data Based Decision Making
Data Collection & Analysis
- Early Literacy, K and 1st
- Early Numeracy, K and 1st
- RCBM, 2nd - 6th
- MAZE, 3rd - 6th
- MCOMP, 2nd - 6th
- MCAP, 1st - 6th